Plot Twist Ideas
- The main characters are told that something they’ve been searching for (a person, a concept, a place) doesn’t exist.
- An object that has been only loosely mentioned but is important to a character turns out to have a message written in code.
- An important character turns out to have a hidden dark past.
- An important character turns out to have hidden their true personality for the entirety of the story.
- The main villain of the novel turns out not to be the main baddie after all.
- A situation arises where a protagonist has no choice but to side with a minor bad guy.
- The hero finally gets an opportunity for revenge, but it comes at the cost of something else.
- An antagonist unexpectedly does something to help the hero. What is their true motivation?
- A character turns out to know something they weren’t supposed to know.
- A character’s dark past finally catches up with them.